Search This Blog

Friday, September 20, 2013

Local Lunch


Today I stopped by "Let's Go! Local", a JMU campus dining option where students can help themselves to a local foods buffet for a punch (meal) on their meal card. I got a protein packed lunch of tofu tacos topped with spinach, mushrooms and cheese. I also chose a locally grown sweet potato, hard-boiled egg and a side of steamed broccoli. All of these ingredients came from local farms in the Shenandoah Valley. So lunch was an easy way to fill up on local foods, however grocery shopping today was more of a challenge. I am quickly beginning to realize how far my foods travel to reach my plate even if I do live in an agricultural hotspot such as Virginia. Strawberries from California, flounder from China, peanut butter from North Carolina and Avocados from Peru. I tried my best to stick to my motto of:

If not LOCALLY PRODUCED, then Organic.
If not ORGANIC, then Family farm.
If not FAMILY FARM, then Local business.
If not a LOCAL BUSINESS, then Fair Trade 

I purchased organic garlic cloves and organic tofu however Minute Maid Orange Juice does not qualify as any of those categories. I shopped at Food Lion today and I feel that I need to find a local and family owned grocery store that I can patronize to support the Harrisonburg economy rather than big business while also sticking to a college budget. I am currently in search of such a place, however food giants such as Walmart, Costco and Target all force family businesses out of towns like Harrisonburg. On a positive note, I am looking forward to Harrisonburg's downtown Farmer's Market tomorrow to find some local eggs, dairy, fruits and veggies! I'll keep you posted!

~Ryan

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well"
- Virginia Woolf

No comments:

Post a Comment