Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day One: JMU Farmer's Market

Day One,

Today was the first day of my new "locavore"mindset and I feel that it was pretty successful! I began to realize all the foods I eat on a regular basis that travel hundreds of miles to reach my plate. For instance the Eggo waffles in my freezer or the banana on the counter or the orange juice in the fridge. Luckily JMU hosted its first on-campus farmer's market to conveniently bring local farms to the center of campus. The market featured apples and peaches from Ryan's Fruit Market in Timberville, VA (just 18 miles outside of campus), local honey from Broadway, VA (14 miles) and vegetables from Woods Edge Farm in Singers Glen, VA (22 miles) woodsedgefarm.blogspot.com. I spent only $8.80 and purchased 1/4 peck of apples (about 10 or so Red Delicious and Rome) as well as two ripe tomatoes, 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, 1 orange habanero and 2 ears of corn! Below are a few pictures from the market today!

~Ryan


No comments:

Post a Comment